Thursday, November 5, 2015

Healthy Eating 101 - No Red Meat


 

4 years ago, I decided to change my diet for health benefits and personal reasons. I decided to stop eating red meat FOREVER! That means no eating beef and no eating pork. This is a lifestyle change I decided to include into my healthy lifestyle. Click 'Read More' to learn about the benefits of a red meat free diet.

No Red Meat



According to a research result by the World Health Organization, red meat and processed meat increases the risk of colorectal cancer.  

What is colorectal cancer? Colorectal cancer occirs when cells that line the colon or rectum become abnormal and out of control. The abnormal growing cells create a tumor, which is the cancer.  

What is red meat? Red meat refers to all types of mammalian muscle meat such as beef, veal, pork, lamb, mutton, horse, and goat.  

What is processed meat? Processed meat refers to meat that has been transformed through salting, curing, fermentation, smoking, or other processes to enhance flavor or improve preservation. This includes bacon, hot dogs, ham, sausages, corned beef, beef jerky, canned meat, and meat-based preparations and sauces.

So why should I stop eating red meat?
  1.  Red meat increases the rick of cardiovascular disease
  2. High red meat consumption increases the risk of a shortened lifespan
  3. Red meat or processed meat increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
  4. Red meat contains a lot of iron, therefore high consumption can raise levels of iron in the brain, increasing the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease
  5. Added hormones and additives in red meat increases the risk of breast cancer
  6. Best of all, YOU CAN SAVE MONEY!
I don't care. I love red meat. So you don't plan to stop consuming red meat? That's okay. Yes, there are benefits of red meat such as iron and it is protein. But eat in moderation and try not to consume processed meat. Processed meat is the worse. Want to know how hot dogs are made?


So what made me stop eating red meat? How it's made/the process it goes through to be put on the grocery store shelves, the cons I listed above, and the fact that I am saving money motivated me. As a college student on a budget that wanted to live a healthier lifestyle, eliminating red meat from my diet was a no brainer. So what do you think about a no red meat diet? Will you try it? Will you continue to consume red and processed meat? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment